Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A cup of coffee can change the world!

Following on from my last post, the earth's not moving in term's of interest stirred in my idea to help in some way the global occupy movement, a school in New York, and finally subsidising lessons for English language learners. And I have to ask why?

It may well be my photograph, which admittedly resembles a convict pose. Sadly, the camera lens and I have never had the remotest desire to form a 'love affair', and there's never been a photograph my entire life that would happily hang on a wall, or sit on a shelf, piano or mantelpiece. One might happily reside in Madam Tussauds Chamber of Horrors alongside the likes of Frankenstein or Quasimodo. No, I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm perfectly resigned to the fact, after wearing my mug for so long, my path in life would at least be different.

But then again, it might be the idea I'm a complete stranger to virtually everyone on Planet Earth, and here I am asking you to buy a book, which I might think is better than it is, but you get a choice of 2, 'Nick & Jenny' a serious piece of fiction and 'Danny's Navel Adventure' a very comical look at one man's quest to discover if he's ever been in love! So as I'm asking you to buy one of my books, you might be asking 'is there some ulterior motive behind this, which is just a ploy to sell a lot of books, on pretence of good charitable deeds, so as to fill his pockets for himself?' A perfectly reasonable thought to my mind, and fully understandable if you're leaning in that direction.

Now in a world that's become increasingly sceptical, and most of the time we're thinking that everyone appears to be ripping us off, such thoughts are always there, so I can't blame anyone if they do think that. All I can do is come up with an idea that, if it works and that needs your help, it will benefit a number of people in different ways.


  1. The 'Occupy' groups around the world are fighting to maintain a core principle of trying to find a different way to live in the future. Unless you're a banker, or a politician, or an ostrich with its head buried in the sand, most of us believe we can't continue with the old status quo because it's hurting far too many people. I'd like many become largely disenfranchised from the political process because I'd largely lost my belief in democracy. 'Occupy' has returned that belief and made me believe that change can occur and a better world can be had for all. We need to break from what was, or is still, there. We accepted that our 'betters' knew better, what we now know is that our betters are a small band of financial brigands wholly intent on denying us a more equitable world. It's no longer a 'pipe-dream' it's there in the reality of the Occupy encampments in cities throughout the world, that crosses borders, cultures, religions and every political spectrum. The 'occupiers' need support in many different ways, what they don't need is continuing apathy and a sense of loss.
  2. Then there's a school in one of the five boroughs of New York, whose whole remit is to show disadvantaged youngsters that life doesn't have to end up as a drug addict, hoodlum, gangster etc. As a teacher myself, whatever doubts I may hold about the effectiveness of statutory education, I still believe that a life spent learning is one much more beneficial than a life spent in ignorance. The individual who learns is one who questions, and the greatest learners are those with a desire to change the world around them. Such individuals may not make massive changes, but they will change their environment for the better. I left school at the age of fifteen, destined for a life of poverty and drudgery, an individual controlled by the environment I was servile to, hidebound by a class structure determined to keep me in my place. One day for no apparent reason a small seed of hope, belief and with the encouragement of a few rare individuals I entered a top ten British university and life changed for me; I was 37 years old. My potential may never be reached, but every day I learn and I try to make a difference in some small way. I'm no saint, far from it, and I'm as complex as the next individual, but I believe that the process of learning can not only change who I am and my relationship with the world, but those I choose to try and help.
  3. Finally, as an EFL teacher I will often find learners who can't afford lessons because they do not have the economic means to improve their English language skills, so enabling them to better their lives and those of their families. That disturbs me greatly because I'm in no position to offer them the support they should have. No one eager to learn should be denied the opportunity to learn because of money, such an idea is as abhorrent to my thinking as the banker profiteering from the misery they have caused. Whilst not wishing to appear, especially at this time of year, as some sort of 'do gooder' on a 'mission', but I'd hope, using the only 'tools' available to me, to open a small window and give back to others.
Above are the reasons why I want to sell one of my books. The cost of each book is $3.99, the price of a cup of coffee. If a cup of coffee can make a small difference to the world, isn't that a world you'd rather be a part of. I want the world the change, I believe I can make a minute difference. Together, by 'giving up one cup of coffee', the eventual difference could be enormous. What kind of world do you want to live in?

Warm thanks.
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment